The AHA's Heartsaver CPR AED Course has been updated to reflect new science in the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. This course is designed to prepare students to provide CPR and use an AED in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
Heartsaver CPR AED Online is the eLearning portion of the Heartsaver CPR AED blended learning course and is designed to teach students the cognitive information needed for CPR and AED training.
Upon successful completion of both portions of the course, students receive a Heartsaver CPR AED course completion card, valid for two years.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*
*Child/Infant Module is optional
Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
The hands-on skills practice and testing session (sold separately) are conducted in-person with an AHA BLS or Heartsaver Instructor. Upon successful completion of both the online and hands-on portions of the course, students receive a Heartsaver CPR AED course completion card, valid for two years.